Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Final "WT4?!"

Connecticut, Kentucky, Butler (!) and... VCU (!!!)? Who saw that coming? (Aside from the two people out of 5.9 million who got it right in ESPN's Bracket Challenge, that is.) This means that we're guaranteed to get a "good vs. evil" final matchup between a plucky underdog (though I'm not sure Butler has fit that description for a while) and a power program run by a shady operator. Such a Manichaean climax seems appropriate for such a wild NCAA Tournament. I'm throwing up my hands on picking a winner: I think that any one of these four teams could win. Pressed to choose, I'd pick Connecticut and VCU to meet in the final, with UConn winning, but don't hold me to that. Please.

.

.

.

An update on the Stevenson basketball situation: The women's coach has retired as well, so next year will mark a complete "regime change."

3 comments:

Mark Lungo said...

"This means that we're guaranteed to get a "good vs. evil" final matchup between a plucky underdog (though I'm not sure Butler has fit that description for a while) and a power program run by a shady operator."

Since I know nothing about sports, which is which?

Chris Barat said...

Mark,

Butler and VCU are the plucky ones, UConn and Kentucky the Montana Maxes. Both the UConn and Kentucky coaches have been in trouble with the NCAA on several occasions.

Chris

Gregory Weagle said...

Sadly for me; it sets VCU/Butler match up in the semi's rather than the possible final I would love to see. If only to see the end of the mid major definition changed or eliminated once and forever.

I betcha the power conferences are really "happy" now to have that extra play-in game for 11 seeds eh? If VCU wins it all (and I pick them as the favorite mind you); I sense next year; the play in games will be all 16 VS 16.

This has been the best NCAA tournment for me in about 11 years. It always makes me wonder what Seton Hall could have done if they didn't run out of gas back then; nor have their best player injured during the Temple game in the second round.